Picton is easily accessed from Wellington by Interislander or Bluebridge ferries via Cook Strait & Queen Charlotte Sound. Alternatively, Sounds Air fly you Wellington to Picton or Air New Zealand Wellington to Blenheim.
The spectacular Coastal Pacific train journey from Christchurch to Picton along the Pacific coast is not to be missed.
Many bus companies also travel from Christchurch or Nelson to Picton.
Car hire companies are conveniently located at Picton Interisland Ferry Terminal.
Jeanne and Carl are happy to offer courtesy transfers by prior arrangement.
The picturesque seaside town of Picton is your ideal base to explore Marlborough. Make sure you don't miss out on your cruise through calm, turquoise waters & secluded coves of Queen Charlotte Sound with one of the following local boat companies:
- Beachcomber Mail Boat - Iconic Mail Boat cruise & walk.
- Cougarline - Walk & cruise options. Queen Charlotte Track transfers.
- Dolphin Watch - Swim with or watch dolphins, walk & cruise options.
- Marlborough Tour Company -Picton Seafood Odyssea Cruise 1:30pm daily
- Myths & Legends Ecotours - Personalised walk & cruise, local Maori history.
Let us help you arange your fishing excursion, diving or sailing charter.
Stretch your legs,on our world renowned, picturesque Queen Charlotte Track. Walkers, kayakers and mountain bikers can be guided or dropped off and picked up by boat at key areas of the track.To make it happen choose from any of the following:
- Wilderness Guides - kayaking, biking, guided or independent hiking.
- Marlborough Sounds Adventure Company - guided or self guided hiking, biking and kayaking.
Picton's foreshore has many attractions, including:
- Visiting one of the oldest wooden sailing ships in the world, the tea clipper, Edwin Fox.
- EcoWorld Aquarium. Get up close and meet some of New Zealand's amazing animals.
- Steamboat cruise around Picton Harbour and Kaipupu Point Sounds Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Heritage walk around the Picton Foreshore.
- Try your skills at mini golf.
- Picton Cinemas arthouse cinemas as a wet weather alternative.
- Swimming on the waterfront.
- Picton Museum is well worth a visit with displays and artifacts of early Picton including interesting displays of local Maori and settlers.
- Local Art and Craft trail.
- Picton Floatplane Service - Wellington to Marlborough Sounds and Scenic Flights.
Picton offers many excellent restaurants, cafés, craft and gift shops.
The Diversion Art Gallery on the Picton waterfront - Contempory fine art by prominent, senior New Zealand artists such as Don Binney, Michael Smither, Grahame Sydney and JS Parker. 10 London Quay Picton.Picton's award winning winery, Johanneshof Cellars featuring New Zealand's first underground rock cellar is just 10 minutes drive from town. Drive Havelock to Picton via the stunning scenery of Queen Charlotte Drive.
Picton walking & mountainbike tracksThere are many trails and tracks offering a different perspective of Picton port town.
Victoria Domain has access to many walking options from along the foreshore to Bob's Bay, or the Snout track.
The Picton to Waikawa Bay track is very popular with locals and visitors.
Essons Valley has a gentle grade to either the Barnes or Humphries Dams, through unspoilt river valley of indigenous forests.
For those who prefer a more challenging hike, the Tirohanga Track offers spectacular vistas overlooking Picton and the Queen Charlotte Sound.
There is also an abundance of local mountain bike tracks, from gentle to challenging.
The Link Pathway is a 42km walking and cycling trail between Picton and Havelock, and linking to the end of the Queen Charlotte Track in Marlborough
with some sections yet to be completed. The views are stunning and not to be missed.
Marlborough and surrounding areas....
A must for wine lovers is a visit to one of the world's finest wine producing regions, showcasing award winning Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc.
Easily accessable by self driving or choose one of the specialist wine tour companies, who will collect you from McCormick House.
- Sounds Connection - Picton based wine or personalised tours and local fishing charters
- Marlborough Tour Company - Wine tours, Kenepuru and Queen Charlotte Sound boat cruising.
- Marlborough Elite Tours - Personalised luxury touring in Marlborough and Nelson.
Jeanne and Carl often visit local wineries to learn more and are also happy to share their wine knowledge with you.
Wineries offering lunch among the vines include: Alan Scott, Brancott, Highfield, Rock Ferry, Wairau River and Herzog's.
- Omaka Aviation Heritage centre - One of the World's largest collections of WW1 aircraft.
- Marlborough boutique breweries include Rennaisance and Moa beers.
- Molesworth Tour Company - Unique tours of New Zealand's largest high country station.
- Driftwood Eco Tours - 4wd specialist birdwatching and nature tours.